Saturday, October 29, 2011

Miracle Tree: What Indian Women Need

Yesterday I wrote a blog on the current status of women's health in India. The blog http://stellasmusings.blogspot.com/2011/10/sickly-truth-half-of-indias-women-are.html is about how over 50% of Indian women suffer form anemia and malnutrition - a fact revealed by a  recent report.

After the blog was published, a friend called Olanike from Kaduna, Nigeria asked me if I knew miracle tree (moringa oleifera) which could cure anemia. Executive Director of Women Initiative for Sustainable Environment in Kaduna, Olanike often advises women in her community to use the miracle tree to build blood, thus fighting anemia. And that is how I came to write this blog.
Moringa Oleifera/Miracle Tree: Over 50% of women in India suffer from anemia and consuming parts of this tree can help build blood and restore their health

Miracle Tree or drumstick or Sanjna is a tree widely available in India. In fact I have never lived in a house that didn't have at least 1 miracle tree in its garden. And I have always eaten, not just its beans/pods (the 'drumsticks'), but also its leaves and flowers which you can eat in different ways, are quite tasty as well,beside being high in nutrition. 

Though my blog is about sharing ways that my community uses a herb/plant, for your benefit here I would share the nutritional value of the miracle tree.


Vitamins: A, B, C, E
Minerals: Calcium, Chromium, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Sulfur, Zinc
Amino Acids: ALL!
Fatty Acids: Omega 3, 6, 9


And now, here is how to eat different parts of the miracle tree:

1. The bean/drumstick: Cut them into 2/3 inches long pieces and cook them either with lentil or with other vegetables. While eating, chew on the pieces, suck the juice and spit out the remaining ball of fiber which is too hard to swallow.

2. The flower: Wash them thoroughly. You can either saute them, or make tiny balls of a handful of flowers, dip them in a batter of corn flour and fry them in oil.


3.The leaves: You can cook them in daal/lentil soup which will make the soup aromatic, thicker and tastier. But you can also cook them separately: fry them in a little oil with chopped onions, a pinch of salt, a pinch of rye and a few pieces of ginger .


As you read, I request you to share this with any woman you come across who is anemic, and has little money to afford modern medicine. Ask her to use the miracle tree beans or leaves or flowers as much as can. Its free, it can be made tasty and it can restore her health. 

So go on, share this nature's treasure with someone and help a miracle happen today.

6 comments:

  1. stella..fabulous information for 'US'..I wanted this from you so I was waiting for this blog. u know I always suffer from low-high hemoglobin level, but I do believe in nature and ayurvedic qure more than any other pathy. my dad has very good knowledge of ayurvedic and homeopathic medicines, so he always keeps us telling about natural way of healings.We always include drumstic ( shevaga or Dambe in Marathi)in our food,esply this subji of leaves & flower is my favorite one :) Thanks & keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful to know. My own body also responds better to natural medicine, so whenever I am sick, I first turn to nature for cure. In our country, we always look at nature as food, but not as 'food which can also cure.' So, the more we spread our own faith, the better it is (besides cure, it will also lead to more nature conservation). I thank you again for reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear Stella,
    Your recipes are interesting and I look forward to trying them out with at least the listed ingredients that are available in my country(Nigeria). I would share the information with my community too.
    You are always up to the task my sister and friend.
    Olanike Olugboji (Nigeria)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Olanike! I am sure we have common knowledge of plants that we can share. To know of Moringa in your country was a very pleasant surprise for me. I look forward to many more such surprises in coming days
    Love and thanks again for your ecouragement
    Stella

    ReplyDelete
  5. Plant the Tress and Save the Earth....So we need environmental services and pollution control management for protect and keep clean the environment.

    ReplyDelete