Monday, February 13, 2012

Living with HIV? Let Giloi be your flatmate!

This weekend was quite special for me. No, I didn't have a smashing date, didn't watch a great movie or dine out. What I did, instead, is this: plant a Giloi (Tinospora cordifolia) creeper in my balcony garden.
Giloi or Giloy - also called Guduchi.

I had been looking for Giloi for several months - July to be exact. That was the month I shifted from Goa (where it was very commonly found) to Hyderabad and ever since, I had been on the lookout for a Giloi plant. Finally, after a long search, my mom discovered this creeper in the garden of a neighbo who thought it was a wild nuisance and was about to pull it out and throw. So, I did a timely intervention!

Now, what makes a Giloi so special for me or us? Lets see: this is a plant you can use for a number of sicknesses such as Jaundice, TB (Tuberculosis), Piles, constipation and chronic fever. As I often suffer from common cold and hay fever,Giloi is just what I need.


But , above all else,  Giloi strengthens the immune system which is why it is the greatest gift of nature for  those living with HIV

A number of  medicine brands (with dried Giloi extract) are available in the market.But here is how you can use it at home.

Take a one-foot long branch of giloi, add five to six leaves of Tulsi (sacred basil) and boil in water for 15-20 minutes.. Add black pepper and a little rock or black salt, or Misri (palm candy) to make it sweet. Let it cool a bit and drink this concoction while still warm. 

If you have piles, then boil giloi leaves and have that extract with butter milk. 

So, go ahead, plant a Giloi today - it wont take much space, can grow in a corner,around that pillar with little supervision!

As for me, I have to wait for my creeper to grow a bit. After all, its just a baby now!

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you very much Prasad! If its useful to even one person, I will consider it my good luck.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Stella Paul. I havethis herb adjacent to my kitchen, which is also called AMRIT, because it does not die even when the roots are severed. It is abundant around our tiny village within a vicinity of 100 mtrs. I munch on its leaves and its tender shoots, even a piece of the creeper, 3-4 inches long can be munched like chewing gum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, really happy to hear that! Excellent suggestion of chewing on the shoot, will share it as much as I can, with others. May you and your creeper stay every green and healthy!

      Delete
  3. Anyone who needs breast cancer treatment, a complete and comprehensive medical center in India can properly take care of it. These medical centers which consist of some of the most skilled, knowledgeable and experienced nurses, pharmacists, therapists, counselors, dieticians, physicians, and various other professionals, are properly equipped to deliver best Breast cancer treatments and Brain tumor treatment services. Apart from that, there are also proper facilities, using which one can go for mastectomy and re-constructive surgeries.
    Cancer Hospitals in India are home to few of the most well known Cancer consultants. Due to large population in India, the experience of these cancer consultants is enormous. The equipments in these heart hospitals are the latest in the world and the facilities match the five star hotel standards. Apollo Hospital Chennai has recently installed Cyberknife Technology which is the most advanced technology for treating cancer in the world.

    best hospital in india for breast cancer treatment
    best hospital in india for lung cancer
    best hospital in india for lung cancer
    best hospital in india for eye

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you very much this website helps me a lot……. hotels near uk embassy chennai

    ReplyDelete